A brief history
We received our name by virtue of the fact that the first Episcopal service held in the Lewiston / Clarkson valley was on Chirstmas, in 1864. For the next 17 years services were conducted by occasional clergy, and when the Missionary District of Idaho was formed in 1867 Nativity underwent its first diocesan transfer, from the Oregon Territory to Idaho. This transfer back and forth would be a pattern until 1929, when the panhandle of Idaho was transferred to the Missionary District of Spokane. The nave of our present building is the second church building, and was originally downtown. It was moved in 1919 up the hill by large horse teams and using a steam winch. In addition a new chancel and transepts were build. Additional California Redwood was imported to finish the lining of the church, giving it its present perfect acoustices. The “nativity window” came around the Horn by ship, and was part of the first church building. the parish hall, named Somerville Hall for the third rector, is actually a separate building, although this is not evident at first glance due to the way the buildings are joined.
Who we are today
We remain the Episcopal Church for not only the Lewiston / Clarkson Valley – the “Banana Belt” of the Northwest, but the parish for much of the surrounding area as well. We are a parish with a rich tradition of liturgical worship and solid outreach, and we enjoy each others company, this parish “plays well together.” Coffee “hour” has been know to last at least two! The parish invites all to join us on our walk with God, seeking to learn God’s will, and striving to serve all people in the world – knowing that all are beloved children of God and our brothers and sisters.